5 Ways to Improve Your Sleep Duration & Quality
The importance of sleep can never be overemphasized for anyone of any age group. Whether it is your work life or personal life, lack of proper sleep can interfere with all aspects of your life.
Ways to Improve Your Sleep
If you are not getting adequate amount of sleep, find it difficult to fall asleep for long enough, or have poor quality sleep, you should take certain steps to address these issues.
The following guide should help you address a wide range of sleep problems:
1. Maintain a Fixed Sleep Schedule
The body’s natural circadian rhythm works in conjunction with sunrise and sunset. If you maintain a fixed sleep schedule around dusk and dawn, your sleep quality can improve in the long-term.
- According to a study people having irregular sleep patterns and those who slept late on the weekends suffered from poor sleep quality.
- If you follow irregular sleep patterns, it can change your circadian rhythm. It also affects melatonin levels, which is responsible for sending sleep signals to the brain.
So one of the most important steps you should take is to get into the habit of sleep and waking up at the same time. Trying this for a few weeks should set your circadian clock right.
2. Invest in High Quality Mattresses
Next, you should invest in the best memory foam mattress. There are so many ways in which you can benefit from sleeping in some high-quality mattresses:
- Perfect Sleeping Position: Memory foam mattresses are resilient and accommodate different sleeping positions by adjusting to the body contours and distributing body weight evenly.
- Motion Absorption: These mattresses absorb most of the motion and minimize motion transfer, giving you disturbance-free sleep.
- Pressure Relief: These foams can disperse your body weight in a uniform manner across the surface. This provides adequate pressure relief and restful sleep.
There are many more advantages of having a quality memory foam mattress. It also means lesser chances of neck and back pain.
3. Create Optimal Sleeping Conditions
This requires you to optimize many factors related to your sleeping environment. The key features involved include:
- Arrangement of furniture
Many studies show that external noise can cause poor sleep, which results in various health problems. You can create optimal sleeping environment by minimizing noise and lighting from various devices. The temperature should also be set to ensure that you can enjoy comfortable sleep. It is also important to make the bedroom a relaxing, quiet, and clean place.
4. Increased Bright Light Exposure at Daytime
One way to keep your body’s circadian rhythm working properly is to get more bright light exposure during daytime and reduced light exposure after dusk.
Bright light, such as sunlight, during daytime helps improve your energy levels during daytime and sleep duration and quality at night.
- Proper light exposure affects your body, brain and hormones
- It helps you stay awake and also informs your mind and body when it is time to sleep
- Studies show that daytime bright light exposure improved the duration and quality of sleep in those suffering from insomnia
5. Avoid Stimulants like Caffeine after Dusk
While caffeine has its health benefits, it is important to avoid such stimulants later in the day. It is good for improving energy levels, focus, and physical performance. But that is not any of your goals associated with sleep. The same rules apply to energy drinks.
So, make sure to follow these tips to get better sleep during night time. It is also important to avoid blue light exposure after dusk.
Blue light is emitted by electronic devices having screens. So you should avoid the excess use of phones, computers, and TV a few hours before going to sleep.
Latest posts by Team BR (see all)
- 10 Financial Tools Everyone Needs in 2019 - November 3, 2019
- How to Kickstart Your Blog Traffic and Your Ranking? - October 8, 2019
- Pros and Cons of a Free Helpdesk Software - October 3, 2019