Table of Contents
What is Familytreenow.com
FamilyTreeNow is a website that allows users to build and explore their family trees, as well as search for information on living and deceased relatives. The website claims to have access to public records and databases, which allows users to find information on people’s names, addresses, phone numbers, and other personal details.
FamilyTreeNow has faced criticism and controversy due to concerns about privacy and security. Some users have reported finding sensitive personal information on the website, such as social security numbers and criminal records. As a result, many people have requested that their information be removed from the site, and the website has added an opt-out feature to allow people to do so.
On the website, you can find an array of information that can be used to locate someone’s family records and other details. Some of the information includes:
- Census Records
- Birth & Death Records
- Living People Information
- Marriage & Divorce Records
- World War II Records
What about the information accuracy on familytreenow.com?
Since the information available on the platform is free, people raise questions about the authenticity of the data available. Before using this information for various purposes, people want to know if it’s true and factual.
The fact of the matter is that the website obtains the information via public sources like search engines and other data finder tools. Simply put, the information that familytreenow.com provides is already available in the public domain.
The website doesn’t claim any information to be true and any representations being made via public records are accurate. Thus, make sure that you double-check the information obtained for accuracy before using it for any purpose whatsoever.
Comparing FamilyTreeNow with other Genealogy Websites
There are plenty of things out there that put the website apart from others in the domain. The best part of the website is that even though the platform sources all the information for free, you needn’t make registration to get started.
However, there are several other genealogy websites available that offer similar features and benefits for users. If you’re ready to think beyond, here are some other platforms that you can try:
- Ancestry.com: Ancestry.com is one of the most popular genealogy websites, offering a vast database of records and resources. Unlike FamilyTreeNow, Ancestry.com requires a paid subscription to access its services but provides more extensive search functionality and detailed family trees. Ancestry.com also allows users to connect with other members to share information and collaborate on research.
- MyHeritage: MyHeritage is another genealogy website that provides access to public records, family trees, and DNA testing services. Like Ancestry.com, MyHeritage requires a paid subscription to access its services. However, MyHeritage offers a wider range of search options and international records that may not be available on other genealogy websites.
- Findmypast: Findmypast is a genealogy website that focuses on providing access to British and Irish records. While Findmypast may not have the same extensive database as Ancestry.com or MyHeritage, it offers unique resources for users researching their British or Irish ancestry.
- FamilySearch: FamilySearch is a free genealogy website that provides access to public records, family trees, and historical documents. While FamilySearch’s database may not be as extensive as other genealogy websites, it provides access to resources that are not available elsewhere. FamilySearch is also run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and has a strong focus on preserving and sharing family history.
- GenealogyBank: GenealogyBank is a genealogy website that specializes in providing access to historical newspapers and other primary sources. Unlike FamilyTreeNow, GenealogyBank requires a paid subscription to access its services but offers a unique resource for users researching their family history through news and other media.
How to find people using Familytreenow.com?
Following are some easy steps you can follow to find people’s records using the website:
1 Open the FamilyTreeNow.com
2. Select the search option to open the Search Records page.
3. Provide the information you want to search for the people on the basis of.
4. Select ‘View Details’ next to the person you want more information about. You can also scroll down using ‘Filter Results’ to narrow down the data from census records, death records, living people, or public member trees.
5. On the next page, you can find detailed information about the person.
How to Build a Family Tree?
To create a family tree or to add someone to an existing family tree, you have to create your free account on FamilyTreeNow.com. While doing so, the creator is entitled to choose certain levels of privacy such as:
Public with hidden living people details:
In this setting, all the information will be available to the public except for the last name and the first initial will be made private for all minors.
If the person is a non-minor, his full date of birth, bio, and any media (photos, etc.) will be private. Only the creator of the family tree and the people it’s shared with can view the private content.
In this setting, every record and media profile of the family tree is kept secret. Only the person who created the tree and the people it’s shared with can view the records.
Limitations of FamilyTreeNow
While FamilyTreeNow is a popular resource for genealogical research, it’s important for users to be aware of its limitations. The website relies on publicly available records and databases to provide information about individuals, which can result in incomplete or inaccurate data. Here are some limitations of the said platform:
The platform relies on publicly available records and databases to provide information about individuals, which means that the website may not have information on everyone. This is especially true for individuals who have not had significant public records or media coverage.
The information on the website may be incomplete or inaccurate. Some records may be missing or outdated, which can lead to gaps in family trees and incorrect information being displayed.
Bias and errors
Public records may contain errors or biases due to data entry errors, discrepancies in records, or changes in naming conventions over time. As a result, the information on FamilyTreeNow may not always be reliable or accurate.
Limited search options
The Website’s search functionality is limited to basic criteria such as name, location, and age. This means that users may need to conduct additional research to find more detailed or specific information about their ancestors or relatives.
As mentioned earlier, FamilyTreeNow has faced criticism for its collection and use of personal information. Users should be aware of the potential risks associated with having their personal information publicly available on the website.
Limited family tree features
While users can create family trees on FamilyTreeNow, the website’s features for building and editing family trees are limited compared to other genealogy websites. For example, users cannot upload photos or documents to their family trees.
Privacy Concerns with FamilyTreeNow
Privacy concerns with FamilyTreeNow arise from the amount of personal information that the website collects, stores, and makes available to the public. FamilyTreeNow claims to have access to public records and other databases that allow it to provide users with detailed information on people’s names, addresses, phone numbers, and other personal details.
While some of this information is already available through other online resources, FamilyTreeNow aggregates this information in a way that makes it easily searchable and accessible to anyone with an internet connection.
One of the main concerns with FamilyTreeNow is that the website allows users to search for information on living individuals, including their full name, date of birth, and current address. This information is often considered sensitive, and many people may not want it to be publicly available.
Additionally, the website may contain inaccuracies or outdated information, which can be particularly problematic if this information is used for purposes such as employment or background checks.
Another concern with FamilyTreeNow is that it can be used to uncover family secrets, such as hidden relationships or criminal histories, which can cause emotional distress and damage personal relationships. In some cases, the website may also expose individuals to identity theft or other forms of fraud.
How to Opt-Out from Family Tree Now?
To address these concerns, FamilyTreeNow has added an opt-out feature that allows people to request that their information be removed from the website. However, this process can be time-consuming and may not be effective in all cases. If you want to opt out of FamilyTreeNow and remove your personal information from the website, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the FamilyTreeNow website at www.familytreenow.com.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the homepage and click on “Privacy” in the footer section.
- On the Privacy page, click on the “Opt Out Here” link.
- In the opt-out form, enter your first and last name, as well as your current and previous addresses.
- Click on the “Begin Opt Out Procedure” button.
- FamilyTreeNow will display a list of possible matches based on the information you provided. Select
- the correct record and click on the “Opt Out This Record” button.
- Enter your email address and complete the captcha challenge to confirm your opt-out request.
- FamilyTreeNow will send you an email with a link to confirm your opt-out request. Click on the link to complete the process.
It’s important to note that it may take some time for FamilyTreeNow to process your opt-out request, and some information may still be available on the website for a period of time. Additionally, your information may still be available on other websites or databases, so it’s a good idea to regularly monitor your online presence and take steps to protect your privacy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, FamilyTreeNow is free to use. However, the website may display advertisements or offer premium services for a fee.
FamilyTreeNow provides information such as names, addresses, phone numbers, birth dates, marriage dates, and death dates. The website may also display criminal records and other public information.
FamilyTreeNow obtains its information from publicly available records and databases, including census records, court records, and voter registration information.
Yes, FamilyTreeNow allows users to opt-out of having their information displayed on the website. To do so, users can follow the opt-out process provided on the website.
The accuracy of the information on FamilyTreeNow may vary. Public records may contain errors or be outdated, and some information may be missing. It’s always a good idea to cross-check information and conduct additional research to ensure the accuracy and completeness of your findings.
yes, there are privacy concerns associated with having personal information publicly available on FamilyTreeNow. Users should be aware of the potential risks of identity theft and other forms of fraud and take steps to protect their privacy.
Yes, FamilyTreeNow allows users to create family trees on the website. However, the website’s features for building and editing family trees are limited compared to other genealogy websites.
- What is Cloudflare Error Code 1020 and How to Fix It? - December 6, 2023
- The Synergy of Solar Energy and Tech: Exploring Smart Solutions - December 2, 2023
- Finding Your Niche: Crafting a Blog that Complements Your Studies - November 29, 2023