How To Make A Shutdown Timer For Windows Desktop?
There are times when I leave my desktop computer unattended and remain open. It usually happens when certain downloads run in the background and I don’t want to interrupt the process. Even after finishing downloads, I often times miss to shut off my computer. So, I ardently looked at a timer that automatically can shut down my computer on a time I set.
To do so, you needn’t to have any third party software. Just some simple commands and you can shut down your Windows computer once a certain process has finished.
Command To Create A Shutdown Timer For Windows:
In order to create a shut down timer manually, do the following:
In Command Prompt, type the command shutdown -s -t XXXX
Here, the “XXXX” indicates the time in seconds you want to shut down the computer in. Means, to shut down the computer in 2 hours, the command should look like shutdown -s -t 7200
Further, to restart your computer on a delay, the code would be like -r -t XXXX instead.
To cancel the timer, open the Run window or Command Prompt again and enter shutdown -a
How To Create a Shutdown Timer Shortcut?
Sometimes you may want to use a shutdown timer regularly. Therefore, you can create a desktop shortcut for this. This is how you can do this:
- Right-click on the desktop, hover over New and select Shortcut in the side menu.
- In the path field type “shutdown -s -t XXXX” and click Next.
- Enter a name for the shortcut (for example, “Shutdown 1 Hour”) and click Finish.
The moment you double-click this shutdown shortcut the timer gets triggered. To cancel the timer, you can create a second shortcut using shutdown -a or enter the shutdown -a command in Command Prompt.
Furthermore, in order to change the time on the shutdown timer, right-click the shortcut icon, select Properties and change the seconds value in the Target field. You can also assign a different image as the icon From within Properties.
Latest posts by Team BR (see all)
- Top 7 Best Child Tracking Apps : Updated List 2019 - September 8, 2019
- 5 Ways to Improve Your Sleep Duration & Quality - August 13, 2019
- Why React Skill Set Makes You a Good Front end Developer? - July 31, 2019