Creating an Online Store, Advertising and Promoting Strategy
In a world of inexorable changes and innovations at the market where people are in a constant search for completely new ways of establishing their product’s name, one may be at a crossroads of what to do, especially, when you’ve just started up your online store from scratch and look for online store advertising.
Advertising and Promoting Strategy for Online Store
No matter whether you’re offering a brand of clothes, garden tools or essays like here, you still have to find the best approach to potential customers. Therefore, you might find useful these strategies on how to advertise and promote your website.
To begin with, it should be underscored that your e-commerce platform cannot be efficient by itself and will require a supporting hand from other sources.
There are plenty of methods that can be helpful in online marketing, however, we offer you a list of 3 most popular and experience-proven strategies that will definitely enable you to enter the big game of Internet commerce.
Besides this, you will find a short list of commercial tricks that can improve your credibility before customers and bring you to new heights of marketing.
#1 Content Targeting
This method implies a constant refilling of your blog with videos, images, articles or any other content that, which is attractive to possible customers.
The point is to create the most appealing look of your product’s primary source, hence a website that will convince potential buyers that the company cares not only for their income but for the buyers’ needs and the quality of a product.
Let’s take, for instance, socks. If there is an upcoming holiday, like Halloween, then you get a marvelous opportunity to introduce your items in a new light by creating an article on your platform saying ‘Make sure you choose a cool outfit for that Halloween party’.
There, you give a few pieces of advice on matching clothes like a shirt, pair of pants, shoes and, more importantly, your socks.
Apart from recommending the season’s main colors and trends, you add to the post suitable pictures of your product used as a part of an outfit and a link transferring readers to your order menu.
How then does it work? In an attempt to dress up for a Halloween party a restless fashion-lover will find your article that will give them an idea of what to wear and your product, socks, will become an inseparable momentum.
Maybe, they won’t buy it right away by they will definitely add your website to bookmarks just in case.
Even though this idea is quite bright, it still requires a thoughtful approach in order to make it functional.
Consider the audience’s age, social class, trends and dwelling place. Doubtlessly, you are not able to hook everybody but your aim is to find a certain group of people always willing to worship your product.
- Make your content useful and applicable by leading a blog or posting articles that don’t shove your items into the buyer’s face but suggest it as a solution to their problem.
- Entertain in the most unexpected way. It’s a tough task to do but it will definitely boost your followers. Instead of spamming your content with articles on fashion all the time, try posting ’10 times you shouldn’t have worn socks like this’ and so forth.
This method is one of the oldest since the beginning of the web and doesn’t take a lot of resources to be used; however, it provides good results since your online shop will always be on everybody’s A-list.
- You need to make sure that even if a visitor doesn’t purchase anything on the platform, you will get a hand on their e-mail address in the most low-key way. An effective way to do so is to convince a potential customer to sign up for a subscription that provides them with a benefit. For instance, it can be a ‘5 % discount on your first purchase’.
- Moreover, you can offer a closed-access post that showcases only the first few paragraphs of a post and requires free of charge authorization in order to proceed with reading. In this case, the registration process should be optimally simplified; otherwise, it will probably irritate the visitors.
- When you’ve gained a compelling list of people’s e-mails you should develop a plan of how to market your messages. There are a couple of plain rules:
- Don’t bother receivers with repeatable advertisements but update them and always expose new or upcoming items. A big variety of products increases the chances to have something bought.
- Simple content and articles are usually not as effective as offers and deals. People are keen on buying only when they see a profit for themselves.
- Try to avoid naked promotions aimed at encouraging people to purchase things. Instead of it, combining content and product advertisements will prevent your marketing strategy from appearing too commercial.
- When the content and approach are determined it’s time work on the e-mails’ design. If messages are swamped in memoirs and have nothing but bare text, it resembles those annoying spam e-mails. This should be avoided by adding pictures, nice fonts, banners and well-elaborated hyperlinks.
- The mailing marketing strategy completely corresponds with the content strategy designated above. However, it should be minded that e-mails from online platforms are usually regarded as spam by the receivers. Therefore, it’s important to make them concise and catchy for the reason of glamouring potential buyers, not scaring them away by vague adopting online store advertising methods .
#3 Social Media
This method is definitely the ‘freshest’ and most used nowadays since social media has become an inseparable part of our routine. It requires only partial participation of the promoting website, whereas the rest is conducted by customers themselves.
The variety of social media resources is quite wide and gives you a superb opportunity to experiment and try out new approaches.
- You need to understand which platform is the most comfortable for you and likely to have the best impact on people. Is it going to be Twitter where you can write posts with descriptions of a product and target buyers or, maybe, Pinterest that enables you to promote a product visually?
- Recently, Instagram has become the main social media platform for advertising since it’s easy to follow updates in real time, without surfing through tons of annoying double chocolate chip cookies recipes or pictures of your neighbor’s dog.
- It’s necessary to turn your promotion campaign into a fashion (garden, educational, etc.) adviser that gives people what they really need – fulfillment. For this, avoid full-blown advertising, which should cover not more than 30% of all the posts and engage real content (articles, guides, interesting facts, etc.).
- Sometimes, when a social media page has all the above mentioned features, it disregards a very simple rule – socialization is life. Your page cannot and should not be a dead screen showcasing some things from time to time. For this reason, respond to your followers’ commentaries, like their posts, answer any of their questions, refer to acute issues not only in the environment of your product but others, and always be active.
- Lastly, there is a special trick that can come in handy, especially, for a newly formed page – gifts. It’s proven that people are more likely to trust an online store is they are rewarded for being followers. The most frequent way is to exchange likes or mention users in commentaries. Notwithstanding, it’s not always efficient. Therefore, a giveaway or a competition can cause a real clamor in the life of your social media marketing strategy.
If we think back and take into consideration the socks store, we could arrange a contest of the best picture with the product or, simply, ask people to tag others under a post, which will randomly bring one of them a reward in the form of a free pair of socks.
Putting aside theory, here is a list of ideas that can work along with any of the mentioned above strategies for improving their efficiency.
- Regular discounts and offers. It’s obvious that people prey for good deals instead of buying a product for its full price. ‘13% off for a Halloween costume’, ‘20% off for Mother’s Day’, ‘Buy the 2nd item for a half price’, etc.
- Provision of free samples while paying only 1.99$ for shipping can help you build trust with customers and demonstrate to them the quality of a product.
- Cooperation with people who are always in the public eye, e.g. photographers, models, fashion designers and make-up artists can promote you up to the sky if you’re in the beauty business. For instance, you provide a photograph with a certain amount of your products and ask them to use it in their photoshoot.
- Wholesales are always a nice way to encourage people to buy more, supposedly, paying less. E.g. offering to buy a set of foundation cream, liner and lipstick of the same brand costing 25.99$, whereas each of them has a price of 9.99$.
- Also, you can offer your own customers to be your promoters in exchange for certain benefits, e.g. a discount, a free item, or advertising. In this case, all they need is a sample of your product and a good smartphone frontal camera. If they make a review on your online shop this will definitely encourage their friends to do the same and follow you.
All in all, there are various means of promoting your online store. Moreover, there is no need to stick to only one strategy and entrust in it. Imagination, inspiration and consistency can definitely do wonders. Buckle up, work hard and best of luck!